Knockdrin Castle is a 17th century Irish castle located near Mullingar, in County Westmeath. Very imposing with its neo-gothic appearance, the building is currently inhabited by Ferdinand von Prondzynski, the president of Dublin City University, located in Glassneven .
The castle finds its origins at the end of the 18th century. Sir Richard Levinge, Lord Lieutenant of the County of Westmeath, and member of the Order of Orange, ordered the construction of a neo-gothic style castle with crenellated towers in a park of more than 4856 hectares… At that time, Rochard Levinge intended to settle there to settle the land issues that arose during Cromwell’s conquests… (Many Irish owners were expropriated by force).
Since then, the estate has been considerably reduced in size and has been converted into a real hunting ground where Winston Churchill’s parents were invited to hunt… Winston Churchill himself visited the castle during the Irish War of Independence…
During the Second World War, Knockdrin was requisitioned by the Irish army to house its 6th infantry division. The army did not leave the castle until 1945, and returned the building to the hands of the Levinge family, owners of the castle for several centuries… But the Levinge family sold the estate in 1946 to Paddy Dunne-Cullinan, who stayed there until 1961, when he sold the castle to a German couple, Hans and Irene von Prondzynski.
Too bad, but the castle is currently closed to visitors. The Prondzynski family wants to live in a quiet place, away from prying eyes… However, the castle can be admired from the road, which is a small consolation, but it will give you a glimpse of the architectural marvel of the construction!