The Hugh Lane Municipal Gallery is an art gallery located in Dublin. Founded by the Dublin City Council in the early 1900s, the place includes a permanent exhibition, as well as exhibitions of contemporary Irish artists. A great place for art lovers!
In 1908, the Dublin City Council decided to encourage Irish artists by founding a pictorial art gallery. This one settles on Harcourt Street and is inaugurated by Hugh Lane himself. It is initially called the “Municipal Gallery of Modern Art”, and finally called the “Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane”, simplified into “The Hugh Lane”.
It was then the first modern art gallery in the world to be open to the public.
During the 20th century, the gallery finally moved to Parnell Street, in the sumptuous Charlemont House, the former home of the First Earl of Charlemont.
In 2001, the gallery was refurbished to accommodate Francis Bacon’s studio.
Lovers of contemporary painting will no doubt appreciate the gallery’s incredible collection, partly bequeathed by Hugh Lane. The gallery also has a large collection of works by Francis Bacon and Sean Scully.
The visit is free, and has the merit of challenging. Between original, mysterious, and conceptual works, the gallery has a reputation of excellence worldwide for the quality of its collection, reflecting Irish contemporary artistic talent!