Butt Bridge is a Dublin road bridge that crosses the Liffey River to connect George’s Quay and Beresford Place with the north quays of Liberty Hall. Very busy, it is one of the most “industrial” bridges in the capital.
The Butt Bridge dates back to 1879, and was named after Isac Butt, who was the originator of the Home Rule. Built of wrought iron, and weighing over 200 tons at the time, the Butt Bridge was a movable bridge used to keep ships moving on the Liffey River.
Over the years, the bridge has been modified to better handle road and river traffic. Reinforced with reinforced concrete, in 1932 it still retains its original central span.
Admittedly, the bridge is not an absolute beauty compared to its counterparts such as the Ha’Penny Bridge or the Samuel Beckett Bridge. It is, however, emblematic of Dublin, which knows how to combine the past and modernism to perfection.