Bourke’s House is a former medieval manor house in downtown Limerick, located on King’s Island, the city’s historic district. Although only a wall remains, it is considered to be one of the oldest places in the city! It is a symbol of the city and is one of the major historical sites on King’s Island.
Bourke’s House is believed to have been built around 1168 by Domnall Mór O’Brien, an ancient Irish clan leader. However, the house was named after John Bourke, who occupied the premises as early as 1650, and was used as a Franciscan convent between 1730 and 1780, before being demolished in 1824 due to street repairs. Only one of its walls has been preserved as a tribute. A commemorative plaque still appears on the wall to remind the inhabitants of the historical interest of the place.
You can admire this wall for free, during a short walk on Athlunkard Street in King’s Island. The wall is rather well preserved as a whole, and consists of small arches, a fountain and a promontory that once dominated the street. A must see, if only to get a better idea of Limerick’s medieval past.