The Berwick Fountain is a public fountain in Cork, located near the English Market, the city’s famous food market. Built in 1860, it is named after Sergeant Walter Berwick, who arrived in Cork in 1847 as President of the Quarter Sessions Court (a court dealing with minor criminal offences). A fountain that is still in place today, and is one of Cork’s great landmarks!
The Berwick Fountain is located on Grand Parade Street, near the former site of the statue of King George II. It was designed by Sir John Benson and presented to Mayor John Arnott, who accepted it on behalf of the city on January 1, 1862.
Ornamental, it consists of three successive basins of carved limestone and a fourth, smaller, cast iron basin supported by dolphin figures. The engravings are a true homage to nature and represent a skilful composition of foliage. The jet of water gushes upwards before cascading into the different basins.
During the renovation of the adjacent sections of the Grand Parade, the fountain was carefully dismantled in the summer of 2006 and temporarily removed. The fountain was then reassembled in June 2007 near its original location. Only the dolphins were completely replaced.
Since then, the Berwick Fountain has been a popular gathering place for young people.