Adare is a village in County Limerick. It is known to be the most beautiful village in all of Ireland, although most people call it “the English village”, as it is so reminiscent of the small villages of Great Britain, with its thatched houses and cosy little gardens.
For many centuries, Adare was under the ownership of the Irish Fitzgerald clan, until the Irish rebellions. The village has only known its present appearance since the 19th century, when the Counts Duraven decided to restore Adare.
The work will take more than 20 years, from 1820 to 1840. They rebuilt the houses there, opting for long streets, and alternating slate and thatched roofs. The facades are colourful, and the gardens are beautifully planted with trees.
Nowadays, the village has managed to preserve its renovations, and has become one of the most beautiful villages in the region.