Informations pratiques :
Surf and Turf, is an Anglo-Saxon speciality, which can sometimes be found in Irish Pubs in Ireland. It is a main course, combining steak and grilled lobster (the two most expensive dishes on a traditional menu!), accompanied by a pan of mushrooms, chips, or salad… A copious and exuberant sprig, certainly, but it’s a real treat!
What is Surf and Turf?
Surf and Turf is a rather recent dish: its name dates back to 1966, and originated on the North American coast before spreading to England, Ireland, Scotland and Australia. Its name Surf and Turf (meaning Land and Sea) combines the two most expensive ingredients found on restaurant menus: rib steak and lobster. A little extravagant, but you have to know how to treat yourself!
Surf and Turf is most often aimed at good eaters, capable of combining shellfish and beef. The flavours may be surprising, but the result is very much appreciated by gourmets: the tender lobster meat is particularly well suited to steak, and its pan-fried mushrooms. It is particularly appreciated for its barbecue flavours!
Of course, Surf and Turf is a rather expensive dish. Count at least 25€ per dish in Irish Pub, 30€ in a restaurant.
Surf and Turf Recipe
- 1 good size live lobster
- 1 rib steak
- mushrooms to your taste (death trumpets, chanterelles, porcini mushrooms…etc.)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 onions
- 30g of butter
- olive oil
- meat spices
- salad, pasta, or fries (depending on your diet!)
- Let’s start with lobster. After putting the lobster to sleep (by tossing it for a few moments at the end of your hand), place it alive in a large pot of boiling water for 7 minutes.
- Then remove it from the water and let it cool.
- Then remove the lobster meat and set it aside.
- Do the same for the green lobster.
- Then prepare the steak, seasoning it with your meat spices, salt and pepper. Don’t hesitate to express your creativity!
- Then wash your mushrooms and fry them in a pan, along with your chopped onions, while adding your lobster green.
- Now it’s time to light your barbecue and grill the rib steak on it. When your steak is almost done, add the lobster meat (lobster takes less time to cook than steak).
- Once cooked, cut your steak in half so that you can serve half a steak to each guest.
- Add the lobster meat, evenly distributed, then sprinkle the whole with your pan-fried mushrooms.
- You can add to your dish some salad leaves, some fresh pasta, or some French fries.
- All you have to do is enjoy!