Colcannon is an Irish gastronomic speciality made from potatoes and cabbage. A real treat for the taste buds, for a 100% economical dish! Don’t hesitate to try it in restaurants or pubs during your stay: you will be amazed by so much taste for so much simplicity!
Presentation of the Colcannon
A sure value of Irish gastronomy…
A Colcannon – TheCulinaryGeek – cc
Like many Irish dishes, colcannon is a very nourishing meal! It is a thick purée cooked with potatoes, cabbage, butter, milk, and onions.
A real delight for a fairly economical budget!
It is notably served on Halloween (named Samain), or on cold winter days.
It is traditional to hide a clean piece in the mashed potatoes: whoever finds it on his plate will be lucky for the next few days! A kind of equivalent of our galette des rois, so to speak!
Recipe of the Colcannon
Ingredients (4 people)
- 1 kg of potatoes
- 1 green cabbage
- 3 onions
- 3 tablespoons of fresh cream
- 50g of butter
- 50cl milk
- Peel and wash the potatoes. Cook them in boiling water until they are tender inside.
- Drain them, then mash them in a saucepan with milk
- Then, get to grips with the onions: wash them, slice them, then fry them in a pan.
- Meanwhile, wash the cabbage, then slice it finely and add it to the onions. Leave it to cook.
- Once cooked, add the onions and cabbage to the purée.
- Bind the preparation with the butter and parsley, and serve on your plates. All that’s left to do is sit at the table and enjoy!
So much more to discover...